Green Cove

Fri Oct 4 15:04:22 EDT 2019

John – see below

Sent: Friday, October 04, 2019 10:08 AM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: RE: Green Cove

Ed, Thanks for these recollections. Good to hear some details about these men that are mostly known as just faces in photos. Pls remind me as I lose track . . . have you published an article on the Abingdon Branch?

I had two Branch related stories in TRAINS Magazine.  I did a column for them from about 1996 to 2002 and one of them was entitled “Joe McNew and the 382”.  I also had a feature article a few years ago entitled “Travels with Earl”.

Wow. 57 years with the REA! What was his name please? Did he always work NW trains?      John Garner

His neame was Charles Earl Carper and he worked various routes finishing up his career on the Branch.  He ran into Washington DC and also Cincinnati.  There is a Link photo of him in the Link Museum, or there used to be.

P.S. Do you happen to know if the 382 number plate still exist? That’s the Holy Grail of the Abingdon Branch : )

Don’t have any knowledge about the 382 number plate.  I wish I had.

- Ed King