Roanoke Belt Line Right-of-Way Question

Tue Nov 5 18:32:32 EST 2019

Here are some bits and pieces of the Rorer narrow gauge railroad/Roanoke
& Southern/Roanoke Belt Line chronology puzzle that I have run across.
They may raise more questions than they explain.

The Rorer narrow gauge was under contract for completion May 1883 (The
Virginias, A Mining, Industral & Scientific Journal .... January 1883, p. 6)

A USGS 1891 topo map, Reprinted 1945, titled "Bedford Va" shows a
railroad from the "Rorer Mines" (obviously the narrow gauge) crossing
another railroad marked, "Winston-Salem Div., Norfolk and Western R.
R.," on Colonial Heights where generally agreed upon by current
researchers and then again crossing over another railroad (obviously the
Roanoke Belt line) just west of the mouth of Murray Run after which the
narrow gauge runs alongside the Belt Line and the Roanoke River until
diverging into present-day Wasena Park (original Rorer washer location)
and then on to the ore transfer station on the south side of the N&W
yard.  This is reinforced by a copy of a portion of an undated,
unidentified different map which also shows the same relationship of the
narrow gauge, the Winston-Salem line and the Belt Line.

But, the R & S did not begin service into Roanoke until March 1892
(Lambie, p. 144), even though it is shown on the 1891 topo map and
identified as N & W RR. Also, until 1904, as shown in N&W Annual
Reports, the Roanoke Belt line extended only 1.59 miles eastward from
the vicinity of the present-day Roadway Material Yard, placing its east
end far short of present-day Wasena Park.  In 1904 in order to reduce
routing options to the Tidewater RR through Roanoke, the N&W extended
the Belt Line another 2.34 miles to a connection with the Winston-Salem
District of the N&W (Lambie, p. 270 and N&W Annual Report 1904).

So, the 1891 topo map and the unidentified map both show the narrow
gauge in the vicinity of the the Belt Line even though the latter was
not built until 1904.  Is it not true that we can believe everything on
a map just as we can believe everything on the internet?

Maybe the best answer about whether the narrow gauge was still in the
vicinity of the 1904 Belt Line is provided by available Shenandoah
Division Employee Timetables in the NWHS Archives.  Examination of ETTs
No. 4, 12/5/1897 thru No. 1, 12/3/1905 revealed no grade crossing of the
narrow gauge with the Winston-Salem line during that time span.  So, the
narrow gauge could not have been operating in the vicinity of the 1904
Belt Line as shown on the maps.

Gordon Hamilton