Harper's Ferry derailment

Mon Dec 23 15:15:24 EST 2019

Thankfully, the accident occurred around 4 am Saturday and there were
probably no walkers or bikers at that hour on that segment of the railroad.
It occurred on the 1894 bridge.

>From the looks of things and this is far from definitive, somehow things
appear to have gotten string-lined out and then the derailment and the cars
swimming in the Potomac.

It kind of limits CSX's entry and exit for reroutings as there are only two
potential options and even those might be limited by weights and
clearances: one in Winchester with the Winchester & Western and the other 5
miles north of Winchester through the Freyco quarry connection.

The Strasburg Junction could theoretically be opened but there has been no
activity there for over 30 years and over 100 yards of track and switches
would need rehabilitation  and then have to go over to Riverton Junction
and thru the OWL crossing there on the former Southern/Norfolk & Western
diamond.

Bob Cohen

news!

A CSX freight train derailed on the trestle at Harper?s Ferry, WV this
morning. Thank the Lord that there were no injuries. The two CSX
locomotives stayed on the track as they approached the historic Harper?s
Ferry station. There is one hopper still coupled to the second loco. The
hopper behind the first hopper is in the river. The Appalachian Trail
walkway is destroyed on the station end of the bridge. Garland H. and
Robert C. sent me links to this accident. Log on to nbcwashington.com to
see the aerial views of the derailment. Those of you that have traveled
with me in this area know that Harper?s Ferry is one of my favorite
locations on earth! Thank goodness that no one was injured and that the
historic B&O station is not damaged. Let?s pray that there are no injuries
while crews remove the derailed train cars.
Merry Christmas and remember Safety First when trackside!
Norris

Norris Deyerle