CPL signals and how they operate

Sun Jan 26 20:05:35 EST 2020

Harry, I was an Assistant Trainmaster in Sandusky in 1980-81. I have no idea what you mean or are implying by "Apparently no one knew or cared how cuts of coal crossed the Central's New York-Chicago main line.” Or how any of this relates to how the NYC interlocking logic connected with our signals.

But, since you brought up moving cuts of coal through there, I can’t speak about 50 years ago but 40 years ago, nothing was shoved across the NYC. 60 car cuts were pulled down to the dock - we never filled all the tracks at the dock that the loads went into so one was always available as an escape track for the locomotive.

And the curve was on the north side of the diamond so would only be a factor pulling empties from the dock (and there is no way you could get a locomotive on the rear of a cut of empties to shove them). And the curve wasn’t an issue as the yard crews did not start up from the dock until the yardmaster let them know the NYC (er, I mean Conrail) Dispatcher said they had the signal.

Going to the dock, there were two roads to be crossed before the NYC and it was a straight view from south of the first road (Tiffin Ave. - OH 101) 1/2 mile to the home signal. No crew crossed Tiffin Ave. until they had the signal. Although looking at it today on Google Earth, there is a slight curve south of the diamond but the home signals were so far back, and they were high signals, that they could be seen, as I said, from south of Tiffin Ave.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com