Virginian PA locomotive speed

Tue Feb 11 21:35:11 EST 2020

Recent Mailing List accounts of the N&W's Class J locomotive at speed
remind me of a story told to me first hand in the 1950's.  That was when
I was making two or three train trips a year between Bluefield, WV (my
home was near Princeton, WV) and Berea College on the L&N in Kentucky.
The most expedient way to travel was to ride the Pocahontas (Nos. 3 and
4) between Bluefield and Cincinnati because they connected directly with
the Southland (Nos. 32 and 33) on the L&N serving Berea.  When I had the
time and money, however, I preferred to ride the Powhatan Arrow (Nos. 25
and 26) between Bluefield and Cincinnati, spend nights coming and/or
going at the Cincinnati YMCA and riding the Southland as before.
Naturally, on the Arrow I spent most of the trip in the observation
section of the tavern-lounge-observation car.  On one trip a gentleman
struck up conversation with me, and I learned that he worked for the
N&W.  Unfortunately, I did not have the sense to take notes in those
days, but I remember clearly the incident that he described to me, even
if I do not remember his name or N&W title.

He told me that once he was involved in a detour of N&W passenger trains
over the C&O between Kenova, WV, and Cincinnati, obviously due to some
line blockage between those two points on the N&W.  He said that he rode
in the cab of the Class J over the C&O while a C&O engineer ran the
locomotive.  He said that at one point he called out to the C&O engineer
as to the track speed limit where they were.  The engineer replied that
it was 70 mph.  My narrator told me that he said to the C&O engineer,
"Do you know you are going 90 mph?"

My narrator explained that he cited this story to illustrate the fact
that the Class J locomotives actually smoothed out at the faster speeds.

Gordon Hamilton