PRR_Consist_2799 with N&W connection at Cincinnati

Thu Mar 5 19:40:12 EST 2020

 Continuing with our review of the consists for Sunday, May 23, 1965, we have PRR # 70, an un-named passenger, mail and express out of Chicago en route to Cincinnati by way of Richmond IN. This train departed Chicago on time at 10:55 AM EST. All cars originated at Chicago. It departed Chicago behind three E-8A units.

The first car was ATSF 9705, a class Fe29 box express car built by the ATSF in 1952. This car was fitted with end doors and it was carrying storage mail destined for Richmond IN. A look at the consist sheets shows that this car was actually destined for Columbus OH and that it would be added to the consist of PRR # 30, the EB Spirit of St. Louis, at Richmond. A scan of a photo of sister car ATSF 9700 is attached.

Next we have PRR X29 box express 6857 with storage mail destined for Greensboro NC. This car would be transferred to the N&W at Cincinnati. There it would be added to the consist of N&W # 4, the Pocahontas, which would take it to Lynchburg VA where it would be set off and transferred to the Southern. While the direct routing by the Southern also existed, the close connection between the PRR and N&W resulted in the above routing.

Next we have PRR X29 box express cars 5520 and 1860, both carrying storage mail destined for Cincinnati. NYC 8088 was a heavyweight baggage express car with a 60’ 6” interior space. It was built by ACF in 1917. It was carrying express, checked baggage and sacked mail. There was no RPO service on Sunday. PRR X29 box express 5483 was carrying express destined for Cincinnati. Southern 556(ex Pullman 1305) was a heavyweight gold star baggage express car with a 78’ interior space. It was an ex-Pullman tourist sleeper that was sold to the Southern in 1948 and was then converted to a baggage express car. It was carrying express destined for Greensboro NC. This car would also be transferred to the N&W at Cincinnati in a manner similar to that for PRR 6857 above. PRR 1310 (ex 3907) was a P70fR heavyweight coach with 68 reclining seats and a single vestibule. It was rebuilt at Altoona in 1941 with 84 non reclining seats and a single vestibule. In 1964, the car was reconfigured with 68 reclining seats and was then renumbered. PRR 1308 (ex 3956) was a P70faR heavyweight coach with 64 reclining seats and twin vestibules. It was rebuilt at Altoona in 1940 with 80 non reclining seats and was also fitted with wide sealed windows. It was reconfigured with 64 reclining seats in 1964 and was then renumbered.

We have now completed the review of the East-West consists. Next we will start with the NY-Washington consists. Attached we have the sheet showing the through connections from the South.

Prepared by Michael W Savchak PE <argon11 at comcast.net>.

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com
(540) 837-9090 - daytime cell
In the 1913 former N&W Railway depot along Clarke County route 723
117 East Main Street
Boyce, VA 22620-9369 USA

Please note: only parcels sent via USPS can be accepted at this address.

Visit at http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org or
http://www.facebook.com/RailwayMailServiceLibrary

http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/articles/RMSL2008.DOC
http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/RMSL2009.DOC