Local mining photograph (suspected)

Fri Mar 6 18:12:16 EST 2020

This is mostly for Mssrs. Garner, Link, Hamilton and Shaw, who showed up
for the Rorer Iron Mine tour. Others may also find this interesting and
have something to say about it. In a Facebook group run by local historians
in the Blue Ridge area, this image turned up at a recent library event.
They had an open call for people to bring in local images for scanning.
There is no other provenance, other than someone brought it in for scanning
at the Blue Ridge library.

Keep in mind, the Rorer Iron Company had a mining operation just north of
the Crozier Iron furnace, but I don't have any information about it. More
likely, this photo may be from the mine operation that was in close
proximity to the N&W Station and the BR Springs resort.

Of interest here, for those who journeyed up and down the pit mines on that
cold day back in January, this photo shows how men used a tunnel system to
extract "outward" rather than "upward-and-downward" to a temporary narrow
gauge track. We were talking about how this might look, and perhaps this
image answers our question. I offer this image in the hopes that it is
local, but as my mother often said, "if it ain't true, it ought to be..."

Stephen Warren - Roanoke