VGN Ry, 100 Car Test Train in 1918

Mon Apr 13 07:07:06 EDT 2020

Well, Mr. Burnett, this all sounds like an evolutionary step to the AB
brake. There is a divided reservoir with train and emergency air (in
case you piss away your train line pressure) and there is primitive
attempt at pressure maintaining through the train with a special device.
Once we had it, we flatlanders on the NKP manipulated the  AB by making
a small reduction of 6-8 pounds and then keeping pressure constant by
turning the feed valve. But our grades were short and mild. How this
would work on long grades down below (N&W territory) I do not know, but
maybe some N&W or VGN enginemen can tell us how the air was used with or
without triple valve assistance.

     WJPowers

https://www.avg.com