Questions

Tue Apr 28 18:49:36 EDT 2020

Ed,
That Y-6 I think was described and photos attached in the book by Tom Dressler on the USRA 2-8-8-2's if I remember right.
I may be wrong about the A's swapping engines in the movie and assumed (OH NO!) that was the engine that resulted in the swap. I figured doing what it did would have caused considerable damage to the cylinders and required a lengthy shop visit.
Lots of interesting things happened back in the day.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 I Haven’t seen that video; I’ve heard about it.  I find it hard to believe, knowing the running gear of the engine, that the illustrated failure was initiated by a failure of the crosshead or guide.   I witnessed the reslts of a failure of a Y-6 back In 1956.  The failure was caused by improper operation of the locomotive resulting in the right  main crankpin of the LP engine coming out of the wheel.  There was considerable damage on the left side of the engine (the feedwater heater was nearly knocked off the engine by breaking side rods)  but they didn’t cause the failure. There were only two As with the mismatched front engines – the 1205 and the 1213.  There may have been other front engine swaps on As, but those were the only two mismatched. - Ed King From: NW Mailing List Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 12:57 PMTo: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org Subject: RE: Questions
Roger, If it helps . . . I don’t believe the incident shown in the video (very interesting scene indeed) has any bearing on the front engine swap between the 1205 and the 1213.   John Garner