K2 126 with doghouse

Wed Apr 29 10:38:37 EDT 2020

Rob

Technically, they were known as “brakeman’s cupola” but the obvious “doghouse” nickname carries on.

They were for the headend brakeman to ride and be able to watch over the train easier, than looking back out of the cab of the locomotive.

Remember this was in the days before dynamic braking and roller bearings, hence the need to watch for a hotbox or sticking brakes more.

Best
Ken Miller