Head end brakeman-steam era

Wed Apr 29 15:50:38 EDT 2020

Of course, some locomotives were designed with a large enough cab to
accommodate two seats on the fireman's side of the cab.  When I rode the
cab of an L&N Class M1 Berkshire No. 1960, several decades ago, from
Corbin, KY, to De Coursey Yard, across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, I
was able to rest in a seat behind the fireman's seat.

I am attaching a couple of pictures from that L&N trip for no particular
purpose to this N&W/VGN group than to commemorate a bygone era common to
all steam railroads.  I'm afraid that the names of the L&N crew have
long since been lost.  The photos came out surprisingly well considered
that I took them with an old Kodak camera with a front that pivoted
downward so that a bellows with the lens, shutter release, etc., could
be pulled out, a camera that I borrowed from my grandmother to take to
college with me.

Gordon Hamilton