Passenger Train Discontinuance

Wed Apr 29 21:36:45 EDT 2020

Not too long ago, there was a discussion here about when various passenger
trains were taken out of service. Before everything shut down, I checked
out from the Virginia Tech library the 1957 and 1958 annual reports of the
Virginia State Corporation Commission. The reports list requests from
railroads in the state to change or discontinue service and the orders
associated with those requests. Because the library is now closed but
people still need access to materials, the amount of publications available
in digital form has broadened. I was able to access the University of
Richmond collection of all the SCC annual reports, so I have added requests
from 1956 and 1958. The filings by the Norfolk & Western and the Virginian
were excerpted and are available here:

https://brucebharper.info/nwrwy/articles/scc.html

As I have time, I'll see about broadening the listings in both directions.

Bruce in Blacksburg