Ringing that Bell (was Re: Brakeman's doghouse)

Thu Apr 30 10:14:15 EDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 3:27 PM Rick wrote:

> We've probably heard enough about doghouses, but this is one of my
> favorites.  The brakeman is out for some air.  An N&W photo.  Y3 2033 blt
> Alco Schenectady 1919, scrapped 5-1958. I found it at a show years ago.

Great photo. If one looks closely at the front of the engine, the bell is
not in a normal "hanging down" position -- or what I consider "normal." Was
this really the way it was hung or is there more going on in the photo that
has the engineer ringing the bell? Perhaps that's why the brakeman is
watching the scene ahead.

Bruce in Blacksburg