Y3 Proto 2000

Mon May 4 22:51:49 EDT 2020

I always find this type of information useful, but not useful enough (or perhaps I’m not organized enough) to document it. Are these types of details available on the web or (better yet) on the nwhs site?

Matt Goodman
Columbus Ohio US

Phil -

The only significant difference between a Y-3 and a Y-3a except the Y-3a has a boiler inspection hatch on the left top of the boiler (it’s readily visible in any number of photos.  If a guy wanted to make a Y-3a out of one of the Y-3 models, the hatch cover should be easily modeled and put on the engine.  Then all you have to do is put the number on.

The Y-3as were built with a 20-ton 15000 gallon tender which were all replaced either with a 16000 or 18000 gallon tender.  I don’t think anyone has come out with one of the 15000 gallon jobs; they were quite distinctive.

- Ed King