another one-legged J story

Wed May 6 22:40:47 EDT 2020

Jungle Jim:

That story sounds remarkably similar to one written up in Trains Magazine
by Ed King about 25 years ago and described what he called a "one-legged J"
and about it running on one-side between Radford and Roanoke at about 60 or
70 mph, and smooth a kitten I seem to recall the story said. The biggest
thing they had to be careful about was not stopping on center because then
they would have difficulty getting it restarted.

It was a great tale and Ed deserves our thanks for preserving such memories
for us to treasure again and again..

Bob Cohen

Ron

Another story on the 600.? It was on a passenger train headed to Norfolk
on the race track between Petersburg and Suffolk in the late 50's.? It
was running at passenger speed (fast) when the guide for the left
cylinder, firemans side broke.? It took them a mile to get that train
stopped.? The roundhouse people from Norfolk came out and isolated that
side of the locomotive and removed any rods necessary and ran it to
Norfolk under its own power.? I thought sure it would be scrapped at the
time.? It was sent to Roanoke Shops and repairs made.? The only paint
applied was the cylinder cover.? I saw it at Shaffers after the repair
with the shinny cylinder waiting to be called for service.

I think I have a photo after the repair but have been unable to find
it.? If anyone has the date of this failure or photos of the repair I
would like to see them.

Jim Blackstock