more on Abingdon Branch pax cars

Sat May 16 13:35:22 EDT 2020

Ed, The photo in Link's "Last Steam Railroad in America" page 78 was at Lansing. Train 201. 382 is the power. Consist 3 boxcars, Baggage-Mail, Coach/Combine, and Coach.  It is a mystery to me why both a combine and a coach.

What I discovered about the photos I posted is the fireman, I presume, is on top of the boiler filling the sand dome out of a large metal can. Two cans were visible on the pilot deck.

--Rick Morrison

  Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 10:28 AM
  Subject: Re: more on Abingdon Branch pax cars

  Rick -

  In all my rides with my Grandfather on the express part of the combine on the Branch I remember riding arch-roof combine # 11 and later the #10.  The coach 704 was up there for years.  I don’t know why they would ever have three “passenger” cars on the branch, since they never filled up the 704 that I know of.  the 1600s came later.

  With an M only good for 325 tons up to White Top it seems odd that they would have three “passenger” cars since they soaked up about 30 or 35 tons each.

  - Ed King