N&W's Gas Turbine Electric Locomotive

Wed Jun 17 11:44:47 EDT 2020

The fly ash destroying turbine blades also doomed the UP experimental coal turbine #80 (later #8080).

Between 1953 and 1956 South African Railways built the Class 25 4-8-4 which included a complex system to condense steam and recirculate it to the locomotive tender to conserve water in the arid region where the locomotives operated. This required a large "fan" below the stack to provide draft because the exhaust steam was being captured.  Unfortunately the fly ash was still coming from the smokebox and devoured the blades.   Subsequent analysis determined that maintenance costs and out of service time far outweighed the cost of hauling one or two auxiliary water cars and the engines were converted back to non- condensing configuration.   The analysis was aided by the fact that SAR also built a group of Class 25NC locomotives that did not include the condensing system, providing a true baseline for comparison.

Conclusion, small acidic particles at high velocity cause high rates of corrosion. What a surprise.

Sent from my digital telegraph key
Jim S