Livestock loading during Summer heat

Tue Jul 21 11:11:06 EDT 2020

Vic

Unfortunately, the Archives only has a limited selection of the Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER), one 1939 and a 1953 reprint, which can answer a lot of these type questions.

In the latter years, the basic stock car class was the SK, see the article in the January-Feb-March 2020 issue of the Arrow for photos and a modelers arrangement. The article was stated that it was not a detailed study of the cars.

The SK cars were built in 1939 from BL boxcars.

In 1939, the register still shows 299 of the Class SH cars, the 40 ton (80,000 lbs) cars, which were shorter cars, roughly 35 feet, with double decks. That is by the AAR designation of “SH” which indicated a two deck car, the “SF” was single deck.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=52363

But, there is also a drawing that shows a double deck for the SK class cars:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=4921

Now, when you go to the 1953 ORER, there is 664 of the SK listed, all as “SH” cars.

By the time you get to the Janusry 1968 ORER, there are 232 cars listed as Class SK, all as single deck cars, the AAR designations had changed by this time.

Since we have no registers between the 1953 reprint and the 1968, it has hard to say if anything is in between that had a double deck.

If anyone had ORER’s that are collecting dust, we’d be glad to add them to the archives.

Best
Ken Miller