Volunteers for N&WHS Archives Work Session Requested

Sat Aug 22 13:33:38 EDT 2020

Volunteers Requested August 27-30!

Our last request for volunteers was well received, and we accomplished a lot, a full report to follow in Talk Among Friends. We still have a lot to accomplish, however, and are having another work session beginning on Thursday August 27.We will be moving boxes of material from GOB East to our new storage facility on Shenandoah Avenue.

In our last session of August 10-14, shelving was moved to Shenandoah Avenue, a security fence was installed, much material was boxed up and moved, including books and Virginian rolled drawings that formerly belonged to Roanoke Chapter NRHS from the Lloyd Lewis collection.

Norfolk Southern has been very cooperative with our move and we appreciate their cooperation and patience. We are moving a number of years of accumulated materials, and it is dusty and dirty from storage and age.

Beginning on Thursday morning, August 27, I will be in Roanoke to move of materials from GOB-East to the N&WHS Archives on Salem Ave. and a new space we have leased at 2240 Shenandoah Ave. We need as many volunteers as we can get; it would be nice if everyone had tools and a truck! Several volunteers a day would be excellent.

In the next session, we will be moving boxed material from Virginia Museum of Transportation, boxed books and volumes from the Roanoke Chapter NRHS collection. Our intent is to remove all smaller, easier to handle material from GOB-East, and the remaining material, cabinets and such, will be moved by professional movers as it is large or difficult for our volunteers to move. Naturally, the more we move ourselves, the less we have to spend for paid movers. We expect to rent a large truck to carry material, but folks with trucks are welcome to assist.

I have negotiated a nightly rate of $49.99 with the Motel Six that is located just off of I-81 Exit 137 in Salem. At the bottom of the ramps, turn right on Wildwood Road, and it is just down the street on the right It is convenient to Salem eateries and shopping centers along Route 11/460/West Main Street.

While rather rudimentary, certainly not The Hotel Roanoke or The Greenbrier, it is, nonetheless, clean and functional. Rooms have cable TV, and a microwave and refrigerator are provided. Most importantly, I have stayed there many times without encountering bed bugs!

Each morning, we will report to the N&WHS Salem Ave. archives between 8:30 - 9:00 a.m., with the work to commence shortly thereafter. Refreshments and lunch will be provided; there will also be breaks in the morning and afternoon.

As long as this COVID-19 Pandemic continues, social distancing will be practiced and masks must be worn while on N&WHS or NS premises at all times.

I look forward to working with fellow members and others who wish to participate, Please contact me at 304-633-8512 or send an email to: caseyatkenova at aol.com. Thanks!

Respectfully

TIM HENSLEY
President, N&WHS