Pulpwood on the N&W

Wed Sep 2 21:16:58 EDT 2020

The N&W had at least two on-line paper/paperboard manufacturers - Mead in Chillicothe and Container Corporation of American in Circleville.

I don’t know much about Mead, it’s possible that the N&W didn’t directly serve it as the B&O was there first.

Container Corporation in Circleville produced corrugating material for box plants elsewhere in the CCA organization. Prior to about 1958, this material was produced from straw and waste paper; after that time it was pulpwood and wastepaper. I have one photo of the yard loaded with pulpwood, but there are no pulpwood cars on site - I suspect the wood was brought in by truck.

Matt Goodman
Columbus Ohio, US

The RR's always stated puilpwood rates were too low and the various regulatory agencies, under political pressure, kept them that way to appease rural voters.

    WJPowers

 <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>	Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> <x-msg://21/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>________________________________________