Wasena Bridge over the VGN and the 10th street bridge over the N&W

Tue Sep 8 19:10:43 EDT 2020

Jimmy

Those steps or whats left are still there.  They are blocked off by a
couple boards and perhaps a no trespassing sign. When I worked on the
South yard in the early 60's they were still used to a limited extend.
They went down to the old scale house and one time operators office and
yard office.  About the only use in my time was by the car inspector
and  the west end switch crew.  I was only in that building a couple of
times when I was working as the the yard clerk.

I had an interesting experience one night when I went in to use the
phone at the scale house to call the yard master, Carl Bowman.  I
reached for the light switch and no lights.  I knew where the desk and
phone was so - no problem.??  It turned out I was not the only one in
that building. Someone got up from the back of the room out the door and
ran east in the yard faster than No. 4 headed to the station.  I just
knew the police wanted the guy for murder or something serious.

Anyway, Carl thought he knew who it was.  I was not too sure so I went
back to the office I had an empty track on either side of my route.  No
surprises that way.

Jim Blackstock