Three Roanoke Questions

Wed Sep 23 18:28:08 EDT 2020

Abram,

I don't see where anyone has answered your questions, so here are some
comments.

1.) I'm confident that the railroad uses city water inasmuch as there is
no need for the large volume of treated water previously needed for
steam locomotives.

2.) The strange, circular abandoned Peters Creek Pump House can be seen
on today's Google Earth at Lat. 37.273534, Lon. -79.992999.  Even though
it is named for Peters Creek it is actually located on the Roanoke River
a little east of the mouth of Peters Creek.  Apparently the railroad
thought that the name "Roanoke River Pump House" would not been unique,
given that some other pump houses in the Roanoke Valley may have pulled
from the Roanoke River also.

3.) With East End Shops now closed, it's likely that there is little, if
any, steam being produced there.

Seeing your wishes from the Land of Amish Buggies reminds me of a little
story about Amish buggies, although I suspect that you have heard all of
them by now, but I'll proceed anyhow.

    An Amish buggy owner apparently had a sense of humor.  A sign of the
    back of his buggy had three lines as follows:

        Energy efficient vehicle.  Runs on oats and grass.  Don't step
        in the exhaust!

Gordon Hamilton