Dry Branch Water Station: Why ?

Mon Nov 30 08:55:06 EST 2020

Greetings!

I think I can help answer this question. I grew up in Dry Branch, and the last section foreman to live in the section foreman's house at that location was my great-grandfather, Leonard A. Scott.

There were concrete foundation walls under the surface of the river there, near the river bank. We were told that's where the water came from for the tank. Water was maybe 30 feet below track elevation, so they would have had to pump it up to the tank.

There were a couple of places not far away that carried runoff from the mountain during wet weather, but no reliable year-round springs within a mile or so in either direction.

Hope that helps.
Vince Albert