Norfolk and Cincinnati ED RPO scenes --and scenery

Mon Jan 4 01:28:57 EST 2021

 William N. Gray lived at Virginia Beach and was a Railway Postal Clerk on the Columbus & Norfolk East Division Railway Post Office (RPO). During 1959 he filmed 8 mm scenes between Roanoke and Bluefield. I met him at a Lynchburg reunion around 30 years ago. He tried showing the film to other retired clerks but after a few minutes, the film broke at a splice. He promised to have a copy made to a VHS tape which he sent a few months later. I had the tape digitized during 2020.

Photo quality is grainy and the focus is fuzzy, but so are my memories. Someone familiar with the terrain can fill in the gaps with their imagination. Although the recording is 120 minutes, only the first 57 minutes have film content; the rest is blue screen. I do not think the original film was preserved by his family after he died. I never received responses to letters I wrote regarding items he had, but this tape is his legacy. All of the footage was filmed from a RPO door. It is interesting to me how much storage mail or express was on the head end in these views.

The WeTransfer download is 1.4 gigabytes: https://we.tl/t-QZCw6QkPtK The link is valid for about five days for anyone else who wants this digitized movie.

Happy new year,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com