Steam Doubleheaders

Fri Feb 5 22:22:20 EST 2021

I worked as a laborer in the N&W Durham shop the summers of 1954-56 and
I heard much mention of a "Winfall pusher.  This pusher assisted freight
trains out of Lynchburg's Island Yard, up the stiff 2.6 percent grade to
12th Street and on another 16 miles to Winfall where so-named pushers
cut off to go back to Island Yard.  Some pushers, however, continued on
the train all of the way to Durham.  These were Y class steam
locomotives and when two came in on a train it put quite a strain on us
laborers and other crafts in that small, sparsely-equipped shop to get
them serviced.  You can imagine what we felt on one memorable day when a
train came from Lynchburg with double-headed Ys on the head end and a Y
pusher on the rear--all of which needed servicing!

Gordon Hamilton