Steam Pusher Engines

Sun Feb 28 22:49:20 EST 2021

Jack,

1.      Typically 2-8-8-2’s of either the Y5 or Y6, Y6a, Y6b class. Less frequently the Y3 or Y4 class 2-8-8-2’s.

2.      Yes. Primarily on three different pusher grades: Elkhorn, Christiansburg, and Blue Ridge.

3.      Pushers always on rear. Helpers on head end.

4.      Not that I’m aware of.

Good questions.

I’d highly recommend the book ‘N&W, Giant of Steam’ by Mr. Jefferies from the commissary for a detail description of pusher locomotives and their operation (as well as many other topics and details from the steam era). Probably the best single, comprehensive source on N&W steam in my library.

John Garner