Pushing in Reverse

Sun Mar 7 13:57:12 EST 2021

That’s a fun photo, Ken and Ron. But it prompts a question.

My understanding of steam locomotives is that leading trucks were primarily in place for guidance and countering nosing at speed, where trailing trucks were for carrying weight (specifically large fireboxes). I vaguely remember reading somewhere that locomotives like the Y’s (i.e. low-drivered 2-8-8-0s) had the trailing truck added for guiding backup moves.

Was there any centering action on the trailing wheel of the Y’s, or was it a passive weight carrier? If they did center, was that guiding action built for road speeds or simply to keep the #8 driver from rolling rail in low-speed reverse motion?

From the photos, it’s clear Y’s were run at road speed in reverse motion, but were they built for it? Or was their speed limited when running in reverse?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US