Ball's Hole Revisited

Sun Mar 7 19:32:55 EST 2021

The discussion on Ball's Hole reminds me of an incident involving Ball's
Hole that I heard about many years ago.  Although time has dimmed my
recollection of the narrator's identity, I do recall that it was someone
who was involved first hand.

It seems that a particular Radford Division eastbound crew would always
have some stuck brakes in the rear portion of the train by the time they
got to Salem necessitating a stop there to release the brakes.
Operating officials suspected that improper use of the air brakes
through Ball's Hole might be the cause of the stuck brakes, so a road
foreman of engines was assigned to ride with the engine crew to try to
determine what the engineer might be doing incorrectly coming through
Ball's Hole that might cause the stuck brakes, but he found nothing
wrong in the way the engineer was handling the train through Ball's Hole.

Further investigation revealed that the rear brakeman had a girl friend
who lived in a track-side house near Ball's Hole and on every trip by
the house the rear brakeman would blow a long blast on the air whistle
on the back-up hose on the rear platform of the caboose to let his girl
friend know that it wouldn't be long until he would be there to see
her.  The bleeding off of a little brake system air through the whistle
would be enough to actuate the brakes on some of the nearby cars.

Gordon Hamilton