March 26, 2021 Athearn Announcements - N&W Related Stuff

Sat Mar 27 10:27:44 EDT 2021

All:

Good evening. Just wanted to update the membership on Athearn's monthly announcement that was posted today online. The attached information is N&W, N&W Predecessor & early NS related releases. For those not familiar, Athearn's standard MO is to make a monthly set of announcements, show MSRP and allow a one-month window for ordering, either direct or via your preferred hobby pusher. Delivery schedule for newly announced models is ~12-15 months. Actual pricing is dependent on where you buy. So that being said, here's a brief list of this month's offering:

HO Scale Genesis Line - N&W F7's, which are former Wabash units in three schemes, grey over blue (1 road number only), solid black (2 road numbers, sold as a pair) and solid blue (2 road numbers, sold as a pair). Models are available in both DCC Ready and DCC & Sound (Tsunami 2) equipped.

HO & N Scale Ready to Run - NW ACF 2970 cf Two-Bay Covered Hoppers, representing late NW HC79 class cars. In both HO & N scale, there are two single road numbers and a three pack, for a total of five different numbers. These cars are the early version of the ACF 2970 which has the side mounted stiffening angle instead of the rolled stiffening ribs in the top chord of the car, making the NW logo a bit too small in size.

Lastly in HO Ready to Run - NS / Southern 60' FMC Double Door High Cube boxcars. There are three single road numbers for this car. These cars fit into the early NS modeling era, but actually depict Southern's ACF rebuilt double door box cars, so it's a 3-foot stand-in model, if you squint the right way.....

I am not sure when the official announcement will be made by the NWHS Board, but I am taking over as the Modelling Commitee Chair for the N&W Historical Society. Ed Painter has stepped down and I have agreed to step back into that position after a 12–15-year hiatus. As an active modeler, I will post model manufacturing announcements as they come out as quickly as possible, as most manufacturers are selling on a production schedule that slightly exceeds pre-orders, and yes there are a couple of exceptions to that rule. In those cases, I will post them as rapidly as well. I will also try to make sure that this info is also posted in "The Arrow", but since that is a quarterly publication, I want to make sure everyone is aware of what is coming and not miss an order deadline.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!

Russ Goodwin
Oakwood, GA