Jenkinjones

Mon Apr 19 23:06:06 EDT 2021

Mr. Lewis,

Depending on the time frame, Jenkinjones could include three tipples:
Pocahontas Nos. 6, 7 and 8, and each with its own switchback. Nos. 6 and
7 shared the same tail track, the end of the branch line that ran south
up the east side of the hollow. No. 6 was higher up on the east side and
No. 7 was on the west side, across the hollow from the company store.
No. 8 was about a mile back down the hollow where Ballard Harmon Spur
split off. The spur crossed the hollow on an impressive timber trestle
and headed up Ballard Harmon Branch (the creek) to a switchback thence
back towards the hollow and the tipple.

Operation was unique and after the war, No. 6 was gone, but 7 and 8 were
quite productive. Third Tug, aka The Anawalt Mine Run, worked up the
North Fork of the Tug Fork with two engines--a Class Y3 on the head end
and a Class Z1b on the rear. With empties between them, they stopped at
Yantic Junction and the Ballard Harmon Spur, cut their train in two, the
head end continued on to No. 7 and the rear-end crew threw the switch
and shoved over the trestle (the reason for the lighter engine) to
deliver No. 8. On their way up, the head-end crew would drop the LCL box
car in the vicinity of the station and company store to be picked up on
the way back down.

When finished, both crews would ease loads down to the junction and
reassemble with the Class Z1b on the downhill end. They backed down to
Anawalt, turned the train on the wye and proceeded forward towards
Wilcoe Yard. There were no inbound short loads to No. 7 at this time and
most outbound loads were Tidewater steam coal. Hauling short loads of
raw coal started in the 1970s from Maitland and off Dry Fork when first
Crane Creek (off Bluestone Branch) and then Pageton (below Jenkinjones)
closed. No. 8 closed in the 50s and No. 7 lasted into the 1980s.

For more details, check out Alex Schust's and Mason Cooper's /Tug Fork
/volume in the NWHS N&W Branch Line series.

Grant Carpenter