Short loads

Thu Apr 22 13:05:35 EDT 2021

Paul,

To add to Chris's reply, in broad terms, "shorts" can be any car or
block of cars routed to a near destination (on a "short" route), as
opposed to cars with longer, typically through, routing. In the
coalfields fifty or more years ago, "short loads" were the relatively
few loads that made intra-division moves or if farther west, points
short of Portsmouth or east, short of Roanoke (e.g., in the "Short" Run
from Bluefield to Radford).

Not all tipples cleaned their coal, so those that did not, shipped their
run-of-mine (ROM or "raw" coal) to the few tipples that had facilities
to unload a car. The coal would then be processed and reloaded. An
extreme example, the USS prep plant at Gary (Alpheus) featured a rotary
dumper to handle the tremendous number of raw loads from the USS tipples
farther up the Tug Fork Branch.

In the case of Maitland, they shipped their raw coal (in three to four
different moves) east to Bluestone, up the Bluestone Branch thence up
Crane Creek for processing. I don't know the exact timing, but their
loads were later routed to Pageton, which had already been processing
short loads from nearby tipples. I'm guessing Consol, the owner of all
these operations by this time, thought it best to consolidate processing
at their last working mine/prep plant in the area at Jenkinjones--this,
despite the lack of unloading facilities and the severe grades on the
way up. So in the seventies, they added a shakeout and the railroad
agreed (?!) to haul the short loads up there.

Speaking of shakeouts, if the car could not be completely unloaded of
raw coal for reloading with clean, usually due to a lack of thawing, the
car was "short-tagged" and run back around for another go.

Short loads also included cars tagged for storage. These short loads
were moved from a tipple to the nearest storage location on the railroad
for forwarding later. This avoided tipples from being "blocked off" with
unsold coal.

Short loads of local coal (stove/retail) were blocked separately for
weighing and billing at Bluefield and Williamson. Short loads of Company
coal moved to coaling stations.

In a consist, shorts rode on the head end for easy set off and pick up.
A notable freight example were eastbound refrigerator cars for the
packing houses in Northfork. Normally on 84, if they missed its
departure at Williamson, the next eastbound got the privilege (and the
pay). Called "Second" 84, where else could one observe a couple of cold
cars on the head end of a "hot" coal train?

Chris, sorry for not just adding to, but piling on. Great questions--as
always, edits welcome.

Grant Carpenter