Switchback nomenclature

Mon Apr 26 08:11:00 EDT 2021

Grant,

That makes sense. The Elkhorn Colliery at the end of the Right Fork Elkhorn Branch closed in 1944. The N&W canceled its siding agreement with the Mill Creek Coal & Coke Co., the colliery operator, on March 30, 1945, and made arrangements to remove the siding. That only left the Angle mine in operation. No Reason to have a Left Fork Elkhorn Branch if there is no Right Fork Elkhorn Branch, and with a single operation Angle Branch is more descriptive than Elkhorn Branch, especially with all of the other Elkhorns as you noted.

Thank you.

Alex Schust