Watch Tower Question

Sat May 1 11:19:57 EDT 2021

Since Ken wrote the reply below, I found a short article on “The Man in the Box” in the November, 1940 N&W employee magazine (from my father’s collection) describing the watchman in charge of the Commerce Street crossing in Roanoke.

The article says the four gates guarding the street were “semi electrically” controlled via four independent levers in the box, which would allow the watchman to keep an “exit" gate open while closing an entrance gate to further traffic. There was also a foot pedal to ring the warning bells and "position light signal indicator” to keep track of approaching trains. Beyond those things, the only other things in the watchbox were a “comfortable” chair, a stove and signal flags. The man featured (Amah C. Hinchee) was, like Ken’s grand father, moved here from train duty due to a disability.

For the purposes of my presentation, I’ll assume the Circleville watch towers were equipped similarly.

My dad (also a member of this list) remembers Circleville’s Interlocking tower having a similar lever/foot pedal setup to protect South Court Street.  I’ll have to ask if the operator there had one lever or more.

Matt Goodman