Early Railroad Logo

Sat Jun 19 08:42:52 EDT 2021

“The Norfolk & Western in West Virginia 1881~1959” (available from the commissary) pages 2-6 cover the history of the New River Railroad from its original incorporation in 1872 to its name change in 1877 to when it was acquired by the N&W in 1881.

The original drawings in question appear to be about what existed or was surveyed, but do not include any surveys down the New River for the proposed New River RR between Central depot and Hinton, although hand sketches probably existed at the time. Hotchkiss did prepare a sketch of the proposed New River RR from Central Depot to Hinton, but it doesn’t have a date on it. Hotchkiss’s drawings of 1880 and 1881 for Kimball are about access to Abbs Valley from the New River. This suggests the drawings were from 1877 or 1878 when John Graham was the chief engineer of the New River RR and the Thomas Graham Group of Philadelphia controlled the railroad.

Alex Schust