VGN coal in 1953

Sat Aug 21 13:10:08 EDT 2021

Glenn, and others:

The N&W Pamphlet, Coal on the Move via the Virginian Railway (reprinted by
the Society in 1995.  Might still be some copies in a box behind something
at the Commissary)is very helpful.  I can't find the date of the original,
and it might be a bit after 1953 judging by the pair of Train Masters on
the cover.  Glenn, for the reader and researcher you are I'd urge you to
get or borrow a copy if you don't already have it.

That pamphlet, designed for current and potential customers I think, shows:

"The thousands of loaded cars converge on Elmore Yard where the Virginian
has leveled a curved valley into an efficient classification
yard......Elmore ....is the central marshalling point on coal's way from
mine to market.  The big trains are dispatched in all directions."

Discussing Roanoke:

"To facilitate movements, much coal to this point has been traveling on
'mine tags', an arrangement which allows the producer to complete
consignment after it has been weighed.  Accurate, tested scales are at the
west end of Roanoke yard.  Coal not destined for tidewater shipment is
weighted and billed here."

Later the pamphlet goes into the loading of colliers at Sewells' Point for
shipment to South America, Asia (!!), Europe, and northeast USA.

I'll let real experts explain more.  And if there's "bright line"
difference between a marshalling yard and a classification yard I'll let
the same guys explain it.

And, yes, I'd suspect that this pamphlet is part advertising/puffing and
there may be some simplification here.

Hope this helps, Glenn.  I'm going back to a "patient on the table" [a
locomotive on the workbench].

Frank Bongiovanni