VGN Helper Practices over Christiansburg Mountain ?

Fri Aug 27 17:36:17 EDT 2021

Abram,

I haven't seen any authoritative response to your question about
phase-break indicators on either end of the Slate Hill tunnel, so I'll
give my opinion.  The symbols that you question appear to represent a
circle of lights making me think that they are low-wire indicators that
the VGN used at both ends of the tunnels in the electrified zone, such
as the ones that I used to see at the ends of the Hales Gap tunnel when
driving to and from West Virginia on the old two-lane Rt. 460 back in
another era.

Gordon Hamilton