Fagg Wye (was: VGN Helper Practices)

Sat Aug 28 07:47:35 EDT 2021

Joe,

Thank you!  This is very helpful research and I will visit the area for a closer look.

I assume the almost exclusive use of the wye was to turn the pusher/breaker engines used over the eastern continental divide from Whitethorne and turning became unnecessary after the electrification of the Virginian which occurred ten years or so before the abandonment of the wye.   Correct?

Interestingly to me,  this is almost the location where pusher/breaker engines were/are cutoff in more recent times to return to Whitethorne.  This makes sense because the end of the significant grade over the mountain ends at about where the railroad crosses North Fork Road.

      Ray Smoot