Salem Shifter

Thu Sep 9 18:51:29 EDT 2021

Ken Miller's "Another Interesting Tidbit" piece in the recent Arrow sparked
my curiosity. His brief description of the Salem Shifter (his fathers
favorite job) go me wondering if there has been any article or deeper
description of the job. I would like to learn more about the job in his
father's time, the 1960's and 70's. Did it run daily? How far did it go? Did
the one job work both the heritage N&W and heritage Virginian lines? How
long was the crew's typical day (almost 14 hours on the day noted)? What
were the "two dozen" customers the shifter serviced? Perhaps we have some
members that worked the job and can give us some insight?

Don Trettel