N&W ca. 1902-1908 System Map - Available for Download

Tue Oct 19 07:43:20 EDT 2021

The map is from 1903 or 1904. The Tug Fork is only shown to Gary, WV and the Dry Fork is only shown to Ritter.

Alex Schust

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:00 PM
To: N&W Mailing List
Subject: N&W ca. 1902-1908 System Map - Available for Download

Found in the Leventhal Map Collection at the Boston Public Library:

Map of VA, WVa, Ohio Showing Norfolk & Western Ry_by Matthews-Northrup Co.

My guess is that it dates from the 1902-1908 period because:  the main line still runs up Twelve Pole Creek, and the following lines are not shown:  the Schooler Hill Old Line, the Lynchburg and Petersburg Belt Lines, the Abingdon Branch, the Big Stony RR, the New River Holston & Western RR, any portion of the VGN.

As with any clean-up editing job, it is difficult to distinguish between what is not enough and what is too much.  Professor Miller can always turn in better restoration work than I.

The 8.5 meg edited file, in PDF format, is up on Google Drive and you can get it by following this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oIRQii4yIlmGDbw70NX8hMGXEdUCvMAH/view?usp=sharing

If you want the un-edited map file as it stands in the Boston Library, go here:

https://collections.leventhalmap.org/search/commonwealth:4m90fd842

-- abram burnett

Scratch Card - Win Turnips