What is it?

Tue Oct 26 12:41:29 EDT 2021

The stainless steel buckets MAY have been used on the diners as grease buckets to put old grease, but I’d suspect they needed lids to keep the stuff from spilling in train service.

As far a dope (waste) buckets, generally, those had a lid to keep the dirt out of the bearing packing materials.

Best
Ken Miller