Historic Newspapers for Railroad Research

Sun Jan 9 16:21:33 EST 2022

Curator Burnett, you always turnup such fabulous resources. Thank you. I'm sure to find some articles about why cabbage grew so much better at the Summit than did turnips!
Happy New Year to all, as the Rural Retreat Depot Foundation embarks on it's second decade of operation.

Frank Akers

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 11:20 AM, NW Mailing List<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:      For those who are interested in primary-source research on the earliest days, the Library of Congress has a large collection of digitized old newspapers.  Indexing is by state, then by newspaper name.  Page access time is quite quick and fidelity/legibility is about as good that found in any newspaper archive.
   I found this site while reading contemporary newspaper accounts of the first transmission by telegraph, the famous What Hath God Wrought? message of 1844.
   Unfortunately, newspaper coverage was somewhat sparse during the early days of the building of the Virginia & Tennessee RR, the 1850s.  The Lynchburg newspapers digitized go back to the late 1820s.  And Mr. Akers of "AY" Mount Airy/Rural Retreat can read the Rural Retreat Times as far back as 1892.
   https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/
   -- abram burnett   Top-Level Domain Extension Turnips  ________________________________________