Builder Plate Conundrum

Mon Feb 28 12:17:19 EST 2022

 Apparantly Dad never saw 483, but his notes on that line say "BLW # 28466  Dest 8-26  M  BLW 12 W.F.  7-06"Thanks for your kind comments. Dad's all time N&W steam roster was the definitive work, based on personal sightings and a lot of correspondence with other roster fans. I remember the names of Fisher (of the locomotive and historical society) and R.B.Carneal of Durham, N.C. Dad did not think Carneal always knew what he was talking about. Dad cross referenced the information he got from all sources and made the most logical conclusions. He taught me to make notes on the locomotives and passenger cars I saw. For some odd reason, I lost my notebooks, but I still have Dad's.
Jim Nichols

Jim Nichols

Thanks for sharing your Dad's notes and research.  You have a real treasurer. The Nichols, Lewis and Bixby research gave us some really great history. Your dad was there and it was first hand information.  Not sure who B. E. ? Lewis was or if he worked for the RR. I knew Arthur M. Bixby and was invited to his house with a group of local fans for movies and discussion on his roster.  Not sure who was there perhaps King, Hamilton, Sink, Aker and Plunkett.  Anyway, at that time I wondered why anyone would be interested in that old locomotive history in the late 50's.  Time has has changed my view on this.

Any chance the Nichols papers have any information on the M No. 483.  This is the one that Baldwin shops installed the wrong builders plate.  It got 28464  and should have been 28466. I sure would like to have climbed in the cab to see if it got the wrong top of crown marker. I don't think the builder plate was ever changed. The Baldwin records note the error and where the M plate went.

Jim Blackstock