Burkville

Sun Mar 27 18:57:24 EDT 2022

The passenger station at Burkville, VA had two bay windows.  The one on
the north side of the station faced the Southern RY and the one on the
South side faced the N&W tracks and the Joint freight station. Ken's
post helped my memory.

As additional information the operator and telegraph for the N&W was in
the South side bay window facing the freight station.  In the late 20's
the tower at Burkville, just East of the station, was destroyed by a
train wreck.  The tower man and his machine was then moved into the
station and sit in front of the bay window on the North side of the
passenger station. There may be a few photos of this wreck and the lever
man and machine in the station.  There was an article on train control
on the Burkville belt line in one of the early N&W magazines.

The photo looks like it was from the mid 50's.  At that time Bill
Mason's father was agent at the  Crewe passenger station.  He had worked
at Burkville along with other family members.  I never paid much
attention to the Burkville station.  I road 3 & 4 numerous times during
this period and could only remember the train stopping at Burkville one
time.  The only reason to remember  this is because we had never stopped
there before.  Who knows the photo could have been the day I was on the
train.

Jim Blackstock