Engine Painting

Thu Aug 18 15:42:06 EDT 2022

Ken

I got a call from a party in Bristol that is tied in with the Bristol VA
N&W roundhouse. The building is starting to leak and they are maybe willing
to donate the building and land to someone that is willing to save it from
destruction.  You were the first one I thought of that might know of some
interested party to take on the project.  If you have any ideas how we
save it, please let me know.  We hate to see it torn down, not many
roundhouses left on N&W

Mike Tilley
Watauga Valley Railroad Museum

wrote:

> All
>
> Since the list has been overly quiet for too long, I saw this posted on
> another group, and it got me wondering about the N&W.
>
> The question was regarding the method of painting the steam locomotives. I
> kind of assumed that N&W used a spray system, but the comments regarding
> the question tended to indicate a number of roads brush painted by hand.
>
> From the original finish on the Class J, it sure looks sprayed to me. But
> good brush painters can get a great finish.
>
> But in the steam era, how were locomotives painted at Roanoke Shops?
>
> Best
> Ken Miller

Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society and Museum
P.O. Box 432
Johnson City, TN 37605-0432