Last Train 3?

Thu Nov 10 19:54:10 EST 2022

Thx for the consist info Ken. I was hoping this was a record of the last
No.3 arriving Cincinnati.

Am I correct in assuming that Train 3's locos were changed at
Williamson? Was coach 531 also cut out at Williamson that night?

As I mentioned the slide is marked with two different months, April and
May '71.
Of course if May was the correct month on the slide it would have to be
May 1.

Any chance of figuring out the actual April date of this photo based on
the loco numbers and that first mail car? Not much to go on.

Just a small correction. If the last No. 4 departed on-time, it would
have departed Cincinnati on April 30 (not May 1).

John Garner

Don’t think your photo matches anything I have.

Last No. 3, departing Roanoke on April 30, 1971.

515
502

1279
1347
1340
118
531
1611
539
537
McDowell County
492

Note: Dome car 1611 and diner were cut out at Williamson, and were
picked up on No. 4 to return to Roanoke. 1611 remained in the train to
Norfolk.

Last No. 3 into Cincinnati on May 1, departed Norfolk on April 30

500
504

1279
1347
1340
118
539
537
McDowell County

Last No. 4, leaving Cincinnati on May 1

502
515

1308
1327
1336
1378
1424
1401
1321
1349
1727
1012
533
536
Buchanan County

Now there was a labor train move east from Cincinnati, which I believe
was on Sunday, May 2 or Monday May 3, and was the coaches and deadhead
mail cars of No. 3 taking it back to Roanoke.

Best
Ken Miller