Fwd: Arrow tender articles

Mon Jan 9 10:37:19 EST 2023

I know the PRR and B&O societies have free online magazines that have
different content than their printed magazines. Perhaps they also have
a greater amount of content contribution which allows them to do this,
I don't know. The Society shouldn't pass up revenue, but if the
original printed copies are sold out and only photocopies are left,
perhaps those could be gradually scanned. Of course that takes up time
and space on the website, which costs money.
With regards to tender assignments, Col. Jeffries' "N&W: Giant Of
Steam" book does a good job of discussing how tender assignments
changed, but it's done by locomotive class not tender class like Mr.
Nichols' articles, which I reference a lot when working on steam
engine models.
Marty Flick

Sent: Sunday January 8 2023 10:30:44PM
Subject: Fwd: Arrow tender articles

 I wish that some of this key information would be shared more freely
on the nwhs.org [1] site. Much info like this is "key info" that is
basically locked away. I am pretty much an outsider, so I don't know
the inner workings of the Society sales, but how much revenue comes
from old Arrow sales? Is there any chance some of the old Arrows could
be made publicly accessible someday? For example, the articles Jim
referenced below would cost my $70 to order. I really, really enjoy
learning about the tenders and how they moved around, and finding
images in the Archives of the tenders. But as it stands, I'll never
see Jim's articles. The really sad thing is, I was a member in the
90's, then kind of dropped out for a while with family and work,
etc... so I probably had those volumes and lost them during moves,
cleaning up the house, etc...
 Mike Rector