House Car Run

Mon Mar 27 16:48:35 EDT 2023

Ken,

Thank for this helpful information.  Is there a phone number at which I could call you tomorrow for a quick conversation about this?

      Ray

Sent: Monday, March 27, 2023 4:00 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: House Car Run

Abe/Ray

The House Car Run was not getting a helper. It was a double-header leaving Roanoke. As discussed, the photo was made at Bonsack, not Boaz. Like much of Link’s stuff, it was staged for photo purposes, not actual operation. Not downplaying his work, but it was carefully planned and executed, people posed, even if not realistic.

It frequently ran double-headed according to the Park Street air records of the day. Normally, I believe it ran double-headed as far as Lynchburg or Phoebe, then the lead engine would be cut off, turned at Phoebe, pick up empties there or at Kinney brought in from Crewe then run back to Roanoke.

According to Norfolk Division Timetable No. 10, effective 12:01 a.m. Sunday, April 29, 1956, the tonnage ratings for a Y6 or Y5 east of Roanoke to Island or Crewe, with pusher, is 9200 tons on slow freight, 6800 tons on time freight.

The rating for the Y6/Y5 without pusher is 4600 slow freight, 4100 time freight.

The ratings for a class A (which is what was normally assigned and depicted in the Link photo) without a pusher was 3600 tons in slow freight, 3200 in time freight. With a pusher raised those numbers to 3900 tons slow freight, and 3600 time freight.

Link’s liner notes were all written by Ben Dulaney, not Link himself. Delaney was probably writing to his understanding, not pure operational. This was written for a broad audience, not the folks who lived it.

In answer to Ray’s question of about loaded hoppers. Attached is the page from the freight train classification book, as updated to 1958. Here you can see the how the Phoebe Turn was to be made up, as well as the House Car Run.

Best
Ken Miller