left-hand lead/left-hand drive/left-hand running

Sat Apr 1 09:27:26 EDT 2023

Bob,
The screw operated reverse gear was used on the Pennsy on different engines as well as NYC and other roads. The "Johnson bar" type operation with the lever and notched arch segment was the most popular.
I don't recall ever seeing an American locomotive built FOR ther American railroads where it was set up for the engineer on the left side of the cab. Some export engines were set up that way though.
Are you possibly thinking of right hand and left hand LEAD? That would refer to the 908 quartering of the drive wheels in relation to each other from left to right sides. I believe the Pennsy used the opposite lead compared to most American locomotives. I think their right side was 90* forward to most engines with their left sides being 90* after their right. I may have that backwards.
Yes, the Pennsy was "The Standard Railroad of the World"......which is why they did so many things contrary to all other roads!
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 Well, this has definitely sparked some interest and I have perhaps learned something. Jimmy Lisle reminds us the C&NW was a left-hand running road and that I knew, but if I have mistaken that for the left-hand drive as it may, then I stand corrected. However, are we sure that no other roads may have been left-hand drive per se? As I have thunked about it, no one chimed in on the NY Central and as I am starting to recall they were right-hand drive but used a screw type mechanism for their power-reverse at least on some if not all of their Huidson types. Anyone care to chime in on that one, but still unanswered, were any American RR's left-hand drive.
As for left-lead/right-hand lead and I presume you meant for the power reverse, Ken, my apologies but that wasn't my intent here. This may spark some additional comments but I seem to recall reading the Pennsy at one time was different than other roads in that regard; am I correct on this one?
Bob Cohen