Shenandoah Division Cab Signals -- Unresolved Questions

Fri May 5 19:38:38 EDT 2023

Mike

  Markers are what’s on the rear of the train .  The lights you speak of  are class lamps or lights

Larry Evans

Sent: Friday, May 05, 2023 12:33 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: Shenandoah Division Cab Signals -- Unresolved Questions

This is really interesting! These are the stories about what it was like to operate the railroad.  Sure, we all know what kind of loccos and what kind of cars, but few of us who did not work for the railroad understand what it was like to actually operate a train.  Many of us "play" with our models and could benefit from someone with some expertise to show us things we could do to be a little more realistic.  (Like park our train in a siding and wait 2 hours til we run out of time and get picked up by a van. 😃 )

A great example: I was asking badgering Ken Miller with questions last week about how marker lights were used on trains.  Sure, the rule book tells what the colors mean, but how did N&W use them in day to day operations?  If I wanted to add lighted lamps to the smokebox of my A's or Y6's which would be most logical to use? Such as coal trains were often run as extras, so maybe it makes sense to use white lenses toward the front on a Y6b?  Or green on an A since it could have a following section?  Then we got to discussing signal lamps on switch machine poles; I bet no one in North America has a job on their model railroad where someone has to refill the oil in the yard switch lamps every day. ha!

Mike Rector