N&W 6004xx Series Boxcars

Fri Jul 28 15:49:39 EDT 2023

 My 1973 list shows 600407-600452 as 60' auto parts box cars "Leased from various roads." That would be consistent with a "paint out or patch job."
Jim Nichols
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 02:36:24 PM CDT, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

 Athearn in their HO scale Genesis line offered a 60' Pullman-Standard auto parts boxcar lettered for N&W.  The I have is number 600407.  It is brown, with a small half moon herald in the upper left corner, N&W reporting marks without serifs, and a large NORFOLK & WESTERN to the right of the double plug doors.  Most interestingly, it appears to be a paint out or patch job.  Athearn did not put a class number on it, and I cannot find any references to the cars in the Archives nor in my N&W freight car equipment diagram books, other than the number series listed in the index with no description.
Does anyone know what the history is of these cars, who the original owner was, and when they served on N&W?